WAEC summons more than 2,000 candidates over exam malpractice

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC), is investigating over 2,000 candidates who participated in this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE), over suspected malpractices.

These candidates have been summoned to WAEC’s offices to address questions regarding alleged irregularities detected during the exams.

The Council is withholding the results of specific subjects of these candidates until the investigations are concluded.

Concerned parents are accompanying their children to WAEC’s offices in the Ashanti Region, expressing apprehension about the situation.

One parent said, “I received a message from her headteacher about the situation, so I decided to come here with her. It’s very unfortunate that they’ve asked her to join them in the room. I’m waiting for her to return to know what transpired.”

A headteacher, also a WAEC centre supervisor, also said, “My daughter is part of those who wrote the BECE. I had a message that we should come to WAEC. They said there were irregularities with the exams they wrote. So, we have been here for them to check it.”

On November 9, 2023, the West African Examinations Council revealed that the scripts of 22,270 candidates in certain subjects had been withheld and were under scrutiny for reported cases of mass cheating.

WAEC has indicated that the results may either be cancelled or released based on the outcome of the investigations.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

Source: myjoyonline.com