Student dies after his body caught fire during traditional hall procession rites

A student of the Akenten Appiah Menka University of Skills Training and Entrepreneurial Development (AAMUSTED) in Kumasi has been confirmed dead after his body caught fire during a hall procession at school.

Prosper Owusu believed to be in his mid-twenties is reported to have died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) after sustaining severe wounds from the fire incident.

He is said to have been the ‘chief priest’ of the Opoku Ware Hall at the university who usually led traditional rites of the hall.

In a video shared on social media, the deceased was seen leading rituals of the hall around an inscription written on the ground with fire, together with other hall members during which his traditional priest apparel caught fire.

Prosper appeared running helter-skelter to locate the nearest water source or an extinguisher at the scene to douse the fire.

The incident is reported to have occurred on Saturday, August 27, 2023.

His mid and upper body were severely burnt.

He was confirmed dead nearly a week after being rushed to the hospital for medical attention.

“DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.”